Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Kill Me Softly by Sarah Cross

Rating: 4
Writing: 3.5
Plot: 4
Characters: 4

Worth the buy?  Worth the read, and I would re-read it, but I would only buy it in e-book format.

Theme: fairy tales



Mirabelle's past is shrouded in secrecy, from her parents' tragic deaths to her guardians' half-truths about why she can't return to her birthplace, Beau Rivage. Desperate to see the town, Mira runs away a week before her sixteenth birthday—and discovers a world she never could have imagined.

In Beau Rivage, nothing is what it seems—the strangely pale girl with a morbid interest in apples, the obnoxious playboy who's a beast to everyone he meets, and the chivalrous guy who has a thing for damsels in distress. Here, fairy tales come to life, curses are awakened, and ancient stories are played out again and again.


But fairy tales aren't pretty things, and they don't always end in happily ever after. Mira has a role to play, a fairy tale destiny to embrace or resist. As she struggles to take control of her fate, Mira is drawn into the lives of two brothers with fairy tale curses of their own . . . brothers who share a dark secret. And she'll find that love, just like fairy tales, can have sharp edges and hidden thorns.



I am so excited to review this book!  I was really great--a nice, original story.  I loved how the author actually did her research on the original fairy tales, the Grim fairy tales.  I loved the concept of the book; it was kind of unoriginal topic-wise, I mean, there are thousands of retellings, but the way the author did it was great.


Mira was a really great heroine because I never felt like she was helpless or a damsel in distress cliche.  While three boys pine for her affections (sort of), she never loses her edge.  The other characters are great, too, and they all stand out to me because of their curses.  Freddy is a slight Gary Sue, but I think that was intentional.  It made the book funnier and better, because Freddy was not the main character or love interest.  Felix was a little creepy though; I didn't like how he and Mira were obsessed with each other.  And he has a dark past that Blue keeps trying to warn her about, but she doesn't listen.  Then again, he could just skip to the point instead of being all ominous.


The pacing was a bit iffy but the end was fantastic and this could seriously be a companion series.  I love the way this author writes.  I am sad that this book isn't more popular, but I really liked it.  Sometimes, the small books that no one notices are much better than the ones everyone raves about.  Like, this was better than the book Innocent Darkness, and a ton of people liked that book.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and I always read them~Thanks for reading my blog!