Monday, September 9, 2013

Mythos Academy Series

I read these books in quick succession.  It took me three days to finish them all, and I didn't have time to write reviews in between, so...I'm reviewing them all together.  I'll try to keep it as spoiler-free as possible.  I may do full reviews later, but for right now I thought it was the easiest way to review them all quickly and simply.  A lot of aspects--character development, plot, pacing, writing--are going to be the same, and writing a bunch of reviews for that would be very repetitive.  I did write separate reviews for Spartan Frost and Midnight Frost.


Touch of Frost
Release Date: August 1st 2011
Publisher: K-Teen
350 Pages
Series: Mythos Academy #1
Goodreads

My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy; a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest. But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why; especially since I should have been the one who died...

Good book, but not the best in the series.  The plot was kind of slow and while the world building was good, I felt like the whole book was world building.  It was just one big information dump.  I liked the characters and I liked how they were introduced, but I think there is so much more in store for these characters.  The book was very exciting at the end, though.  I think Gwen was a good main character and she will be strong, but I was wary of her relationship with Logan.  That might cloud her judgement in the future.  I do, however, love Daphne.  I love her role in the book and how she wasn't a classic mean girl.  I would consider this more of a prequel, though, to the rest of the series.  If you didn't like it, I recommend trying to read the sequel. The action and adventure picks up there.




Kiss of Frost
Release Date: November 29th 2011
Publisher: K-Teen
337 Pages
Series: Mythos Academy #2
Goodreads

I’m Gwen Frost, a second-year warrior-in-training at Mythos Academy, and I have no idea how I’m going to survive the rest of the semester. One day, I’m getting schooled in swordplay by the guy who broke my heart—the drop-dead gorgeous Logan who slays me every time. Then, an invisible archer in the Library of Antiquities decides to use me for target practice. And now, I find out that someone at the academy is really a Reaper bad guy who wants me dead. I’m afraid if I don’t learn how to live by the sword—with Logan’s help—I just might die by the sword...

I enjoyed Kiss of Frost a lot, but I didn't agree with a lot of the romance.  Logan didn't really break Gwen's heart; they weren't in love.  She barely knew him.  I didn't really like Logan anyway, especially since he seems like he's trying to make Gwen jealous.  There was more action in this one and the plot and pacing were much better; I read this in one sitting.  It was the perfect length and I think tat the writing holds a certain unique quality not found in many authors.  I don't know what to call the quality yet, but Jennifer L. Armentrout has it.  I liked how the series was going at this point and I was interested, invested, in the characters.  The somewhat predictable ending was a disappointment, though.  The "twist" wasn't all that surprising, and I wasn't not sure how I feel about Logan and Gwen's relationship at this point.  Overall I did enjoy the book, and I think it was better than the first one.




Dark Frost
Release Date: May 29th 2012
Publisher: K-Teen
336 Pages
Series: Mythos Academy #3
Goodreads

I've seen so many freaky things since I started attending Mythos Academy last fall. I know I'm supposed to be a fearless warrior, but most of the time, I feel like I'm just waiting for the next Bad, Bad Thing to happen. Like someone trying to kill me--again.

Everyone at Mythos Academy knows me as Gwen Frost, the Gypsy girl who uses her psychometry magic to find lost objects--and who just may be dating Logan Quinn, the hottest guy in school. But I'm also the girl the Reapers of Chaos want dead in the worst way. The Reapers are the baddest of the bad, the people who murdered my mom. So why do they have it in for me? It turns out my mom hid a powerful artifact called the Helheim Dagger before she died. Now, the Reapers will do anything to get it back. They think I know where the dagger is hidden, but this is one thing I can't use my magic to find. All I do know is that the Reapers are coming for me--and I'm in for the fight of my life.

I liked that this book focused more on Gwen and her journey.  The book did a good job of balancing Gwen and her character development with action and romance.  I decided that I didn't like Logan and Gwen's...whatever they are.  Logan doesn't help Gwen as much as cause her heartache and stall her mission because of her feelings.  Gwen isn't a strong character with Logan and I do want them to be together, but I want Gwen to defeat the reapers first.  I also don't like how Logan has a dark past.  It was very annoying that he was so broody and self-hating.  Gwen and Logan's relationship is so on and off, I don't know where they stand.

Gwen's hunt for the dagger is interesting.  It was a little too convenient but it kept me interested.  I think this book was good, though, and the series is getting better.




Crimson Frost
Release Date: December 24th 2012
Publisher: K-Teen
354 Pages
Series: Mythos Academy #4
Goodreads

For a moment, a face flashed before my eyes—the most hideous face I’d ever seen. No matter how hard I tried to forget what had happened, I saw him everywhere I went. It was Loki—the evil god that I’d helped set free against my will.

I should have known that my first official date with Logan Quinn was destined to end in disaster. If we’d gotten into a swordfight, or been ambushed by Reapers, I’d have been more prepared. But getting arrested mid-sip at the local coffee hangout? I didn’t see that one coming.

I’ve been accused of purposely helping the Reapers free Loki from his prison—and the person leading the charge against me is Linus Quinn, Logan’s dad. The worst part is that pretty much everyone at Mythos Academy thinks I’m guilty. If I’m going to get out of this mess alive, I’ll have to do it myself…

The book was frustrating, and that's what made it good.  Crimson Frost fully invested me in the world and characters because I really wanted Gwen to win.  I wanted her to be revealed as Nike's champion, and I wanted Loki's champion to win.  The annoying thing about the book was that Loki's champion always managed to get away!  Ugh.  I thought Gwen would have gotten her once.  Gwen was brave in the book, but also stupid at the end.  I was right about Logan clouding her judgement.  But now he has another excuse to brood.  Goodness, he needs to get over it and move on, otherwise everyone else will move on without him.  I hated Logan's dad, too, because he was so oblivious to the facts that redeemed Gwen.  The twist wasn't too good in this book, but the ending left me reeling.  Thankfully Spartan Frost held me over.

1 comment:

  1. When I picked up the first book I became obsessed and read the whole series (that was out at that point) in one night.
    I love these books. But I have to say that I LOVE LOGAN! So that probably made the series a bit better for me! I mean I can see that he causes Gwen so much heartbreak and yet I still love him... I know. I'm weird like that!
    And I hated how Gwen could never catch Loki's champion!! I mean how hard is it?!
    Other than that I love these books!! Great review!! Thanks!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and I always read them~Thanks for reading my blog!