Sunday, September 1, 2013

Afterglow by Karsten Knight


*I received this ARC for an honest review*
Release Date: November 12th 2013
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
336 Pages
Series: Wildefire #3
Goodreads

The action thrills and the passion burns in this red-hot conclusion to the Wildefire trilogy.

Teenage volcano goddess Ashline Wilde discovers that her former love, Colt Halliday, has an evil plan to kill the Cloak, the benevolent beings that oversee the gods. And that’s not all—he also wants to merge Ash and her two sisters back into a single, too-powerful goddess, Pele. Ash must stop her trickster-god ex-boyfriend once and for all…and to do it, she’s going to have to feed a few flames.

My feelings....oh.  This book was amazing.  I love Karsten Knight, and the conclusion to the series was epic.  I love the characters and I even like Colt...as a "villain", that is.  The ending was perfect and I felt the end was satisfying, as well. The last sentence drew the series together.  I was such a fangirl over this book, and I hope you guys enjoy it, too.

Let's talk about Colt first.  Oh, Colt.  I loved him so much throughout the series, because he wasn't a vanilla antagonist.  Yes, not villain, antagonist.  He was trying to do what he thought was best.  Colt was very three dimensional and I couldn't help but love him.  Ashline was kick-butt as always.  I rooted for her and connected with her throughout the series. She's funny and interesting, and she feels real to me.  Okay, relatively real.  But wait.  Wes.  *Fangirl squeal* Okay, I love Wes.  He's adorable and I ship him and Ash so hard.  He's so perfect for her and they are adorable together.  I also like that he's not one of those guys that's all: "I am man.  Must protect woman.  *grunt*"  He and Ash just have chemistry and I love the dynamic of their relationship.  It's not cheesy or gag-worthy...it just is, you know?

Writing.  Karsten Knight is a really good writer.  He's descriptive but he gets to the point, and he writes awesome fight scenes.  The book flows nicely, good pacing, and the book is just gripping.  The plot and characters kept me invested, but the writing had a WOW factor.  I liked how the ends were all wrapped up nicely and how the ending wasn't too "ride off into the sunset".  There were losses and not everything was convenient for Ashline...nothing was, actually.  I loved the external and internal struggles of the characters and I can't wait to see what Karsten Knight comes up with next.


1 comment:

  1. I hadn't heard of this series, but your description of Colt intrigues me. I can only like antagonists when I understand why they are the PROtagonists in their versions of the words, and books become so much better when the author shows you that side of the "villain." Tahereh Mafi also does a brilliant job with this in her Shatter Me trilogy, turning Warner into a fascinating-and sometimes even empathetic-bad guy.

    I'm glad you liked this book! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and I always read them~Thanks for reading my blog!